Thursday 1 October 2020

October Kraft+ Challenge - Crazy about Chalk!

 Hello Krafters and welcome to October!

 Thank you to all who participated in last month’s

GO GEOMETRIC Challenge. The K+ Facebook Community page is looking seriously fabulous with all your geometric designs...love it!

 

October challenge.

CRAZY ABOUT CHALK!


As the title says...we want you to think anything chalks. Now, I know not everyone is a hoarder like me, so you may not have those old chalks in your stash, therefore we’re not strictly asking for chalk on a page.

 

As always, the graphics were created by our very talented Amanda Hall.

 

Crazy about Chalk Challenge.

 

The Kraft Plus Design Team

 


Hi All! Here is my layout for the October challenge. I was inspired by the wonderful colors on the mood board and I was inspired to use some chalks on the center of the canvas flowers. I simply used a cotton bud to gently rub the color onto the flowers. I used this photo as I was also drawn to the raised hand on the board too. What a fabulous challenge this month.

 

 

 

I started with a coat of clear gesso, scribbled on some chalk and then gave it all a spritz of water.

 

 

 

#hope- I have here a page with a photo of my nieces and nephew who used Chalk to draw a rainbow on their front fence. This was done during the early stages of the Coronavirus pandemic. The idea of the chalk messages and drawings on the streets was to bring hope during these lonely and worrying times. I have used chalk from my stash. And a TIP: to stop the chalk from smudging, I have used hairspray to protect it. Hope this brightens your day, Amy

 

 

 

 I don't have any chalk but I found a very old set of chalk pastels in my stash. I ran a line of gesso down the page for the chalks to stick to and to brighten the colours. I made a quick template using a square punch then used a brush to colour the squares with the chalk pastels. I took a leaf out of Amy's book and gave the chalks a quick spray with hairspray to fix it.
What another cool challenge it is this month!

 

  

 

My october page!

 

 

 

Initially I had some issues getting started with this layout, just wasn't feeling inspired. However, I did find some inspiration eventually, and here is the end result. I stuck with pastel colours. I painted some black onto the background, got my chalk pastels and created some circles onto some black paper. I was trying to copy some of the pattern in the bridesmaids dress.
I searched my stash and found blackboard inspired die cuts, added a chipboard blackboard.





 
I actually did have some chalks in my stash...untouched ;) Following the instructions (blending with a finger), they were way to0 subtle in colour, so I ended up pulling them out of the pack and using them like a piece of chalk. I used a soft paintbrush to blend and remove the excess afterward. I had to seal it with hairspray, as I was making an awful mess...haha.

 

 

 

I had no chalk paints... but figured the white paint pen on black card stock would do the trick! I’ve created this in April - so it will be interesting to see how things are by now! Anyways... this is inspiration if you do not have chalk bits to use!

 

 

Guest Designer

 

Please welcome for this month...

Miriam Spiess

 

 

 Hi, I am Miriam; I live in Point Cook Victoria; I am a married and mum of two amazing boys. On the 3 Aug 2020 another day blurring into the next during lockdown a friend told me to check my messages. I did and discovered Paula Perry had sent me a messaging asking me to be a guest designer. What? Me? Why? Hooley Dooley I was so surprised I just about peed my pants with excitement. After a little clarification Paula sent me the mood board…..ummmm PINK, PASTELS, WHAT???? I began to sweat and internally scream (Miriam is not a pink / pastels person!) Suddenly I remembered “READ THE CHALLENGE MIRIAM” …Kraft plus chalk….. Ohhhh okay I took another look at the mood board in the corner was Autumn leaves and the little mouse who whispered to me like Yoda “true to yourself you need to stay!” Okay Earthy, rustic, with chalk is where I am going.

The Autumn leaves reminded me of our farm in my old hometown of Marysville. Instantly I thought of the old chalk boards outside the BNB café at our farm. I recalled the rustic charm and rusted corrugated iron sheets that are when I decided to use corrugated cardboard. Going back to my Italian heritage I immediately thought of using Gesso which literally translates to Chalk.

I remembered a precious photo I took of my eldest son Daniel blowing bubbles while camping at Myrtleford. While hunting and gathering in my craft room I found some chipboard bubbles, that is when the idea to have Daniel blow bubbles across the page entered my head. I had white posca pens, chalk pens and white chalk that I could use to draw chalk bubbles across my page.

Now all these chalk ideas were floating around in my head, which one should I use??? All this thinking, hunting and gathering was making me hungry that is when I channelled my inner Master Chef “chalk three ways” Gesso corrugated iron, handmade chalkboard journal card and hand drawn chalk bubbles! I set off making all my embellishments one of my favourite things to do, then layering my elements allowing the layout all come to life.

I am just so incredibly chuffed to have been invited to be a guest designer as it is my first time ever. I sure hope I met the brief and did well on my homework!

 

 

 

Each month we are on the look-out for eye-catching projects for potential Guest Designers to join us. There is nothing extra you need to do, just share your layout or project in the Kraft+ Community Facebook page. We hope you all embrace the opportunity.

 

We welcome all kinds of Kraft entries for our challenges, from a traditional layout, cards, digital layouts, art journal and tags etc., just please remember that it is all about the Kraft, so we want to see Kraft as the base or ‘hero’ of your creation.

You can share your K+ creations with us on our

Facebook Kraft Plus Community Group

We no longer have the ‘linky’ tool on the blog, but would still love to see your creations. Anyone who is not on Facebook, can email us their creations and if you have a blog, a link to that so we can still visit.

Our email is kraftplusaust@yahoo.com

 

 

That's it for this month’s challenge. I do hope you find the time to join us and have fun with the challenge.

We can't wait to see what you all come up with this month :-)

 

Stay safe and happy Krafters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips