Wednesday 1 September 2021

September Kraft+ Challenge - Inspired by Laura Horn

 

Good morning Krafters! Spring has Sprung...

 

 

How fabulous was last month’s INSPIRED BY PIE GRAPHS Challenge, where we teamed up with ‘Scrap the Boys’! Thank you to all who joined us, there were so many inspiring creations.

 

 

September challenge.

 

INSPIRED by LAURA HORN


 This month we want you to take inspiration from artist Laura Horn and her gorgeous creations! I personally love her work and hope you all enjoy the challenge as much as I did.

As always, this month’s mood board was created by Amanda Hall, but if you’d like to see more of Laura’s work, you can find her HERE.

 

 

 

The Kraft Plus Design Team

 


 Used a coat of clear gesso so I could try and get the watercolour look and then finished up with a white out pen for the leaves and some mark making





Hello everyone! New month means a new challenge. Oh Boy! This challenge sure got my brain ticking over. Laura Horn is one inspiring artist who demonstrates beautiful watercolour techniques. After researching her work, she left me inspired to do flowers and some white dotty random squibbles over this layout. As always, we love seeing your projects and look forward to seeing your take in this month’s challenge. With thanks, Amy


 



I am always inspired by the work of Laura Horn! I have taken several of her classes and am a big fan. It wasn't hard for me to take up our challenge this month. I made a set of cards. The backgrounds were finger painted with acrylics and there's some watercolours and paint pen work on them, followed by embossed sentiments

 

 



I love Laura Horn's work and found it really enjoyable to create this background inspired by her style using watercolours, paint pens and organic shapes. I then cut rough circular shapes from a collaged sheet to add extra interest over the top. My last layer, the Altered Ancestor and funny quote, is by another artist, @Lorraine Haight Moraine from @ArtStacks, so I got a double-artist inspiration on this one!
I hope you can check out Laura's work and find inspiration in her beautiful work.

 

 



September challenge





Back in March, when there was no Covid, sigh, my family and I went to the Blue Lotus Gardens outside of Melbourne, for my birthday. They were stunning.
So for my layout, using Laura Horns collage and watercolour designs, I have created a piece that represents what I saw at the Lotus Gardens.
I started by doing some watercolour circles on the Kraft, then did some on book paper. I also did some varying colours of the pink and purple on book paper, cut these out in petal shapes and handmade my lotus flowers.
On the day we went, it was showery, and there were water droplets in the leaves and flowers. So I have added glass beads, and kindy glitz to try to replicate this.
I have had fun learning a new design style, by watching Laura Horns classes, and signed up to do one, which I thoroughly enjoyed, it has been a good thing to do in lockdown.

 

 

 I started with painting on white with the intention of cutting it up to use on the layout. However, I decided I liked it whole so had to rethink my design idea. I’m happy where it in went. I hope you have fun!

 




I love Laura’s work and was super excited about this challenge. I took inspiration from her colours used and replicated her doodling. Lucky for me, I had this Kaszazz die of botanicals which worked perfectly.

 



I love the way Laura uses white over her designs & was inspired by the top left leaf image. I’ve used heat embossing over a Distress Inked bg for my page.

 

 




Well I have to say I was so inspired by this month’s inspiration Laura Horn. I had to do some research and I watched YouTube’s and found descriptions like "mark making' 'freedom and spontaneity' 'acrylic layering' 'textured layers'. And  saw she liked circles, dots, lines, brush strokes. So that is what I have used on the back ground of my layout using acrylic paint, gesso, stencils and paint pens! TFL!!

 

 

Guest Designer

This month, please welcome...

 

Natallie King

 

Hi, I'm Natallie from Newcastle NSW. I'm a mother and grandmother. I have been scrapbooking for over 15 years. I like doing different styles of scrapbooking and my other papercraft love is junk journaling. I was honoured when Paula contacted me to be a guest designer for September. For my layout I was inspired by Laura's use of colour and paint. I have used a mixed media approach with gesso and different colour paints. The blue flowers were fussy cut out from paper. The pink flowers were doodled and used some chipboard. The butterflies were punched out.

 

...

 

Top of Form

Bottom of Form

 

 

Each month we are on the look-out for eye-catching projects for potential Guest Designers to join us. There is nothing extra you need to do, just share your layout or project in the Kraft+ Community Facebook page. We hope you all embrace the opportunity.

 

We welcome all kinds of Kraft entries for our challenges, from a traditional layout, cards, digital layouts, art journal and tags etc., just please remember that it is all about the Kraft, so we want to see Kraft as the base or ‘hero’ of your creation.

You can share your K+ creations with us on our

Facebook Kraft Plus Community Group

We no longer have the ‘linky’ tool on the blog, but would still love to see your creations. Anyone who is not on Facebook, can email us their creations and if you have a blog, a link to that so we can still visit.

Our email is kraftplusaust@yahoo.com

 

 

That's it for this month’s challenge. I do hope you find the time to join us and have fun with the challenge.

We can't wait to see what you all come up with this month :-)

 

Stay safe and happy Krafters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips